Tuesday, September 5, 2017

I understand that its a complex issue, and that there are differences in opinion.
I understand that we must have a real discussion about letting Rohingya refugees into our country.
I understand the reluctance to accept people coming in en masse to our country when we are already struggling with our own economic problems.

But what I DON'T understand is the need for unnecessarily insulting comments against the Rohingya themselves during that discussion - "idiots", "parasites", who "create a heavy traffic jam"  (and these are not even the worst of the comments).

As a Malaysian, I am ashamed.
What happened to our reputation as a friendly, caring people? 
Is this what we have become - shallow-minded, xenophobic, forgetful, SELFISH brats - exhibiting the very same traits we complain about in our politicians.

What has made us feel so entitled to hurl abuse at refugees already prosecuted so badly? 
Because they deserve the torture? 
Because we Malaysians are more human than the Rohingya? 
Hah! I find that more and more difficult to believe seeing how inhumanely we behave.
I am ashamed. I am ashamed. I am ashamed - 
and not just of our leaders. 
I'm ashamed of you and me.

Happy Merdeka Day


No comments:

Post a Comment